Monday, August 18, 2008

Now I know how the people on Oregon Trail felt

I made it back from site visit, and mostly in one piece. I am only missing a tiny little piece of my finger where I was bitten by a mouse my first night in village. Lucky me! Two rabies shots and a hamburger in Mopti (to make myself feel better) later, I am fine, and my host dad at site promised to catch the mouse and "take care of it" before I get back. Other volunteers have told me that there are plenty of ways to keep mice out, the easiest one being to get a cat, so I may be inheriting a pet in the future. Getting to site was probably the most eventful part of the whole week as it involved a 10 hour bus ride, followed by a bashee (old station wagon turned taxi) ride through brousse, a river crossing via ferry, and finally a donkey cart adventure to get to my actual village! Riding on a donkey cart was eerily similar to the beloved elementary school game Oregon Trail. I sat on top of the cart on bags of rice with about 10 other women and my bike strapped to the back. We forged a river, lost some bags of rice off the back that we had to go back for, and helped another cart get unstuck from the mud! Thankfully no one got dysentery, at least that I know of. All in all, a memorable trip on public transport in Mali. My site is really great (minus house guest)and I have two rooms, my own nyegen, and my own concession, which is like a little front yard with a tree. My host family (jatigi) is really great; they seem much more excited than my host family at homestay, and they didn't feed me to once so I think we are going to get along quite well! The village itself kind of reminds me of Emerald City in that the road literally ends at the entrance to the village, except its a red dirt road and not yellow brick haha. I do get cell phone service at the clinic where I will be working, but no electricity and no market, so I'll be going into Djenne at least once a week. I think it'll be nice to do this actually because there is another volunteer in Djenne, so it will be fun to get together even for an afternoon. Djenne also has a couple of hotels, restaraunts, and internet cafes since it's pretty tourist-y, so it'll be nice to have access to all that relatively easily. One not so nice thing about it being such a center for tourism is the little kids. They have learned how to say "give me" in french and will ask you for anything from money to your water bottle to presents! This gets annoying pretty fast, especially since they seem to travel in groups of ten and like to tug on your clothes while asking for things. I'm just hoping that since I will be there regularly they will eventually figure out that I am not a tourist and do not want to give them my water bottle haha.
It's really weird to think that I have been in Mali for over a month now! Sometimes it seems like much much longer, but it's also crazy that training is almost over. Let's just hope I can get through the next 20 days at site with my homestay family and not have to eat to every day, inshallah!

6 comments:

Tough Cookie said...

Ahhhh!!!! Crazy, Stacy!!!! How are you doing this?!?!? You are so brave! After the first kid tugged on my clothes, I would cry. Don't get rabbis!!! I need you at my wedding haha

The 4 Herters said...

Hi Miss Stacy-how much of your finger is missing after the mouse got it? I had one day of first grade and then 2 days off for rainy Fay. What are you eating?? Katelyn

Hi Miss Stacy-was it a big mouse?? Cameron

Stacy-mice?? Rabies?? Donkey car rides with rice bags and strange native women?? You go girl! Laurie

HI Stacy-go Canes! John

Anonymous said...

Yeah Stacy! I'm so glad your host family isn't over feeding you and you have plenty of access to the internet since you will be going to town that often...sorry about the mouse, you should get a pet cheetah (way more vicious and intimidating). Miss you love you mean it!-erin

Jayne said...

Hi Stacy -
Jayne O'Donnell here! LONG time no see and WOW have you changed! The beautiful, graceful, and yes pampered Stacy I knew back in AMS in Finesse, would not have fared so well in Mali. You should be very proud of what you are doing - it's AWESOME!! Take it all in, soak it all up and savor it, because it will be over before you know it!! All the best!
Jayne
PS - I'm thinking I need to send Ben and Jacquie over there!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Stacy! I 've been blog impaired. Typed something great and couldn't send it. I know I did it once so I'm trying again.

Love, Auntie Jo-Lin

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I did it! I'm a techno weenie!! You are a very brave and wonderful niece. I'm so proud of you. The mouse has met it's match. I'd definately get a cat, but hopefully it doesn't end up like "The King the Mice and the Cheese" Nature has a sensitive balance doesn't it!?!?
What an adventure. Wish I could pop over for a visit but come back quicker. I hate being old and not able to sit on a ricr bag. Enjoy your youth!!! I pray for you alot!! Love you lots!! Aunt Jo-Lin
Uncle Jim and Sadie say Hi and woof (I think in that order, too!)